Monday, October 17, 2005

the plight of being a mets fan

The last few baseball seasons have been very interesting. I noticed today that I have been more excited during the off-season than during the actual season. Maybe that is because the Mets haven't been contending and in their market I always know that there will be some dramatic and newsworthy off-season moves. The season playoffs haven't even ended and I find myself already looking at rumors about what the Mets will do to improve their team. I can't wait until next year when I will hopefully have some more time to actually watch baseball and maybe even see a game in person, something I haven't done since being in college. On a semi-related note, congratulations to Bobby Valentine (former manager of the Mets) for making it to the Japan series. I'll take whatever former Met glory I can get. Hey, Benny Agbayani is on that team too. Some of you may remember him.

Some people from my work and I competed in a whiffle ball tournament Saturday. There wasn't much preparation or organization but Rebecca from my work decided to make everyone matching shirts with green stenciled frogs hopping around. It was a little embarrassing but it spawned a pretty clever team name: the Underfrogs. Anyway, we did a lot better than we expected for a group that doesn't play whiffle ball all that much. We won our first game 29-5. Our second game was against these hardcore guys called the OG Killers. We just conceded that we were going to lose badly but we had an early 10-0 lead. They must of been furious because they were having batting practice before the game and a few of them had headbands and now they were being shut out by people with frogs on their shirts. Anyway we blew the lead and were down 11-10 in the last inning when Brett on my team hit a 3-run homerun to put us ahead. In the bottom of the inning with the bases loaded, I caught a line drive and leaped (you like that? leaped.) at second base to double up a guy that forgot to tag up. We thought we were back in business before the next batter hit a 3-run walk-off homerun to end the game. Oh well.

The conference is almost here. The bad thing is that Miami is expecting some bad weather.

~sag

No comments: