Thursday, February 24, 2005

Keeping Things Interesting

This semester at NAU has not been good. Along with the cold, the depressing brown hue of the rundown town is getting to me. As much as I want to believe that I am not this shallow, I like flat,well paved roads, contemporary architecture and warm weather. I thought this alone accounted for my somber state of mind. It is not. I have little tolerance or motivation for school anymore. My classes are no longer interesting and they haven't been for the last couple semesters. As Rachel and I were voicing our respective frustrations I realized that the whole reason I choose sociology as a major is because I found it interesting. I defended profusely that I did not need a practical major that gives you specific direction. Thus my dilemma, my defense for sociology was that I wanted to do something that interests me when, I am beginning to lose interest.

Enter my revelation. In true Steve fashion, I am pondering the possibility of changing my major this late in the game. During our lunch, Rachel and I began to get excited about my new yet old interest: advertising. Most of you that know me remember my high school interest in marketing and advertising. When I first came to college, I wanted something new and different. That is why I turned to sociology. Though, my interest in advertising had never truly faded. I am constantly critiquing ads on TV and the radio (remember my post about the coupon mailer thing). I am so hungry right now for something practical and creative. I can't stand to learn or re-learn any more theories. I will not regret taking sociology because it has made me a more informed and aware person. Sociology will now be my minor. Also, understanding human behavior can only help my new major.

Because I made this decision so late, I will have to put in some hard work. What now stands in my way of an advertising major is 9 credits over the summer, 18 in the fall of 2005 and 15 my final semester. While catching up will take effort, I finally have some self confidence and true excitement for completing college. Cross your fingers everyone, this will surely be an interesting journey.

~sag

No comments: