Sunday, January 08, 2006

mumbo jumbo

I have been having a pretty lazy break. It makes me appreciate balance. For instance, 15 credits hours plus 20 work hours equals: overload. Day and night with no agenda or purpose makes Steve a dull boy. While I expect next semester to be a challenge, I look forward to a slightly decreased work schedule to allow time for homework and getting in better shape (I pushed myself too hard at the gym the other day trying to make up for lost time and I almost died). I, of course, have a wedding to finalize as well. All in all I am excited for the Spring of '06 to begin.

While I have been lazy this winter, I must say I surprised myself as much as I surprised Rachel's family with the dinner I cooked Friday. Becca got Rachel and I a cookbook and I made a dish that was a pretty dumb choice for someone as inexperienced as me but it turned out pretty darn good. It began with cutting a horizontal "pocket" into four chicken breasts and stuffing it with a soft garlic and herb cheese spread. I then had to roll the chicken and wrap two slices of prosciutto around each and tie it off with string. I then let the chicken simmer in a red wine sauce and served it with a salad and a French baugette. At the end of the experience it made me appreciate those people who do that stuff every night because I think I am done for another year.

Rachel, Nate and I made a spontaneous trip to California. Much like Christian enthusiasts travel to walk in the footsteps of Jesus in Bethlehem, we wanted to walk in the footsteps of other gods. The cast of Laguna Beach. While no sightings occurred, I got to live like Talan for a day, except much pastier. Much to Michael and Michelle's enjoyment, we are working on a small video project to document our day in the life of the rich and spoiled.

All kidding aside, we went to California just because we wanted to. We stayed right outside Disneyland because the hotels are cheaper there and it was hard not to buy tickets. We just explored different beaches, shops and restaurants enjoying an environment opposite of which we are used to.

I better go, Rachel is studying hard for her upcoming French CLEP test and she is a little anxious. Send her over your blessings.

'til another 6 weeks,

~sag

No comments: